What is Widening Participation?
Widening Participation (WP) to higher education is a strategic priority for the UK and Scottish governments and the higher education sector in general.
WP aims to address the discrepancies in the take-up of higher education opportunities between different social groups.
Who is it aimed at?
Widening participation addresses patterns of under-representation in higher education. To do this, higher education institutions target prospective students from groups that are currently under-represented, including students:
- From low income backgrounds and low socioeconomic groups;
- From postcodes where participation in higher education in low;
- Who are the first in their generation to consider higher education;
- Who attend schools and colleges where performance is below the national average;
- Who are care experienced;
- Who have a disability;
- Who are young carers;
- From under-represented ethnic backgrounds.
What do we do?
Our own studies have shown students that attend Blue Peanut courses can have a success rate of over 97% in obtaining a medical school offer. The vast majority of our students also receive more than one offer. We directly observe the improvement in interview performance before and after training.
Blue Peanut tutors offer training, help and advice to local schools in East Lancashire free of charge. In addition we host sixth form work experience placements in our own GP practices for local students.
The cost of Blue Peanut courses is determined by several factors, including the cost of the providing the teaching, venue and travel costs for the tutors, as well as the costs of research and development. In addition there are costs of running Blue Peanut as an education company.
We did not wish any candidate to feel disadvantaged because of financial circumstances. Therefore we offer assistance to students who are not able to attend our courses due to financial constraints, with respect to the widening participation target groups.
What help can I receive?
- We can offer a reduction in the fees charges to attend our training
- We can offer extra face-to-face advice to candidates during our course
How do I apply for help through Blue Peanut’s widening participation scheme?
- Please ask your teacher or head of year from your school to e-mail us at email@example.com
- You teacher will need to provide details of why they feel you would benefit from the scheme and details of your personal circumstances.
- If successful, we will e-mail back with details of how to make a booking under the scheme. This will be kept confidential.
- Candidates under the scheme will receive the same education, support and follow up as other candidates.
- Blue Peanut terms and conditions with regards to cancellation remain unchanged for the product that is booked.